For many families, the holidays wouldn't be the same without gingerbread cookies. These festive cookies have a special place in many of our hearts and continue to be a popular tradition year after year. Whether you make them from scratch or use a gingerbread cookie mix, these cookies are sure to bring smiles to everyone's faces, no matter what time of the year!
Gingerbread cookies are made from gingerbread dough and completed with the kick of spicy gingerbread powder. These yummy cookies are also decorated with icing and sprinkles, adding to its charm.
Did you know, they’ve been around for the longest time? The first recorded recipe dates back to the 13th century. It was originally a savoury dish, made with honey, ginger, and other spices and it wasn't until the 16th century that gingerbread began to be made with flour, sugar, and eggs, and it was then that it became a popular sweet treat.
Over the years, gingerbread has been adapted to include a variety of flavours and ingredients. Today, there are many different variations of gingerbread cookies, including molasses gingerbread, cinnamon gingerbread, and even pumpkin gingerbread.
The star ingredient of this cookie is ginger powder so make sure to use fresh and organic ginger powder to retain the fresh and festive taste.
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
Making gingerbread cookies is a tradition during the holiday season. Follow these steps to make your own gingerbread cookies:
- 100g salted butter
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 225g plain flour
50g icing sugar
- Heat butter, syrup, and sugar together in a small pan until melted, stir lightly.
- Mix ginger powder, cinnamon, and flour in a large bowl and add the syrup mixture. Stir well to combine and make a dough. Add a little amount of milk if needed. Once done, refrigerate the dough.
- After some time, put the dough on parchment paper and shape it into a rectangle, laying another sheet of parchment on top of it. Roll the dough out to a thickness of half a centimeter. Transfer it to a baking sheet and refrigerate again.
- Heat the oven to 190 ° C/170 ° C. Remove the dough from the fridge and use a cookie cutter to give it shape.
- Place it on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 mins at 180°C.
- Mix the icing sugar with 1-2 tbsp water and adjust the consistency. Decorate the cooled biscuits.
Don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. We bet they’ll be asking to share the *secret* recipe!
Stay Well Steeped
Be a part of the Wellness Tribe and enjoy exclusive benefits